Practical info


In order to visit Greece you are obliged to have the following:

  • ID card In the case that your country of origin is a signatory to the Schengen Agreement, you may use your national ID to enter the country and you may stay for a three-month period. In these cases a passport is not necessary, although you will need it in a variety of other transactions, including currency exchange, shopping etc.
  • Visa If your country is not a member of the Schengen Agreement, make sure you obtain further information from the Greek embassy or consulate in your country before your trip, or from your travel agency.*
  • Passport If your country of origin is one of the following non-EU countries, your passport allows you to visit Greece and remain in the country for up to three months (90 days) within a six-month period:

Andorra/ Argentina/ Australia/ Brazil/ Brunei/ Canada/ Chile/ Costa Rica/ Croatia/ El Salvador/ Guatemala/ Honduras/ Israel/ Japan/ Malaysia/ Mexico/ Monaco/ New Zealand/ Vatican/ Nicaragua/ Panama/ Paraguay/ San Marino/ Singapore/ South Korea/ USA/ Uruguay/ Venezuela


Currency declaration upon arrival: According to EU law, if you’re carrying cash valued at €10,000 or greater, you are required to declare that sum to the authorities of the Member State you are entering or exiting. Therefore, upon arrival at a Greek airport and prior to exiting the Baggage Claim area, it may be necessary for you to proceed to the Customs Office for a currency declaration.
Currency declaration prior to departures: If you are flying to a non-EU destination, after passing through Passport Control you are required to proceed to the Customs Office for currency declaration. In addition, in case you are travelling to an EU member state and carrying cash of a value of €10,000 or more, you must also declare that sum to the Customs Office.
Alcohol and tobacco: When travelling from one EU country to another, you can transport tobacco and alcohol products for personal use but not for resale. Under EU law, you do not have to prove that the goods are for your personal use if you are carrying quantities below than those defined on the EU website.
Restrictions of animal products: When traveling within the EU, transportation of animal products does not fall under general restrictions since all EU countries have to adhere to the same strict veterinary standards. If, however, you are transporting meat or dairy products and are not travelling from an EU country, there is danger that you may enter with animal diseases.
Animals and plants: When travelling within the EU you have the right to transport animals and plants. However, given that the majority of EU countries have strict rules in place regarding the transportation of endangered species and products derived from them, you will need a permit to travel with them.


The electricity voltage in Greece is 220 V/50 Hz and the plugs are of type F. To avoid the risk of a short circuit, be sure to have transformers and adaptors for your electronic devices or ensure that your chosen accommodate will provide you with them.

As a member state of the European Union and the Eurozone, Greece uses the EU’s common currency, the euro (€).

Cash can be obtained from:

  • All banks that accept currency exchange (Monday-Thursday: 8am-2.30pm & Friday: 8am-1.30pm, closed on weekends and public holidays).
  • Exchange offices situated in airport, central ports, big cities, as well as at many tourist destinations. A passport is required when exchanging currencies.
  • The ATMs of the banks that accept your credit card .


Although the opening hours of shops vary from region to region, in large cities they are usually as follows:

  • Downtown shops, department stores and supermarkets: 9am-9pm, except on Saturdays, when they close at 8pm.
  • Local shops: 9am-2.30pm & 5.30-8.30pm (Tuesday, Thursday, Friday) and 9am-3pm (Monday, Wednesday, Saturday)

Shops are closed on Sundays, except for local mini-markets, tobacco shops and street kiosks, some of which operate almost 24 hours a day, including Sundays, especially in tourist areas.


National celebrations and holidays

  • New Year’s Day: January 1
  • Theophania/Epiphany: January 6
  • Ash Monday, the 41st day before Orthodox Easter (movable holiday)
  • Independence Day: March 25
  • Orthodox Easter Sunday and Monday: Movable holiday
  • Labor Day: May 1
  • Assumption of the Virgin Mary: August 15
  • National Holiday: October 28
  • Christmas holidays: December 25 & 26


In case of emergency call:

  • Ambulance service: 166
  • SOS doctors : 1016
  • Duty hospitals and clinics: 1434
  • Pharmacies: 1434
  • Poisoning first aid: 210 77 93 777
  • European emergency number: 112
  • Fire service: 199
  • Police: 100
  • Tourism Police: 171


Prior to your visit to Greece, prepare for the event that you need medical care:

  •  If your country of origin is an EU member-state make sure you are a holder of the European Health Card (EHIC) or any other legal EU document issued by your nation’s social security agency. You can find more information about the EHIC here. In such cases, the necessary treatment in Greece is provided by:

– IKA (Social Security Institute) Health Units (polyclinics) or doctors’ clinics in the region of travel;
– Regional clinics (formerly rural clinics) or the Health Centres of the National Health System
– The outpatient departments of hospitals

  • If your country of origin is not an EU member-state, make sure you have consulted your social security agency for information before travelling.